Friday 24 January 2014

Almonds and Oreos


Almonds and Oreos are keeping me company right now on this six-hour bus ride to Vancouver from Kelowna. I spent the past couple days visiting my sister who goes to school there, and now I'm trekking through the Fraser Valley on my way back home.

For most of my last two years at university, I spent every other weekend on the Greyhound to and from Seattle, and so long bus rides are something I am all too familiar with. I can spot the woman who will recline her seat all the way (and I mean all the way) immediately after settling in with her blanket (!), book, and Tupper-Ware of homemade cookies, and so avoid sitting directly behind her. I am not the slightest bit surprised (which can't be said for aforementioned reclining lady) when the guy one seat over and three seats back gets off in Hope to smoke a joint. I know when to look preoccupied enough that certain people won't ask to sit beside me, and when to offer the seat to certain other people in order to accept the lesser of two evils. I also know what snacks to bring. Realistically, I'm never going to eat a sandwich that's been bumping around in my bag for five hours. May as well commit to the Oreos from the get-go. I know who I'm dealing with here.

As un-glamorous and, well, gross as travelling by bus can sometimes be, it is definitely an eye-opener and one more form of travel that showcases things you would otherwise never see. I recently came this close (my fingers are excruciatingly close together) to booking an impromptu trip back to Costa Rica, and in the wake of deciding to stay put for now, realized I could take mini trips in an effort to scratch my travel itch.

I have to say that I am quite surprised that it is working so well so far. You'd think that a bus ride through BC to cold Kelowna would pale in comparison to the exotic jungle and beaches of Costa Rica. But the truth is that when you love travelling, you will somehow find the same satisfaction in every new place you go, no matter where it is or how you get there. Travelling is just as much about being with yourself as it is about being somewhere new, and sometimes what I need from travel isn't necessarily a crazy adventure, but just the opposite. This time, what I really needed was a little break from life, some good sister time, a few new sights and sounds, and some rest and relaxation. And that's exactly what Kelowna had to offer me over the past couple days. An abundance of pancakes, long and chilly nature walks, leisurely soaks in the hot tub, piping hot tea lattes, good catch ups curled up in blankets in front of the TV - these are all simple pleasures that were thoroughly enjoyed during my little vacation. I got exactly what I needed, and I didn't have to travel half way around the world to get it.

Don't get me wrong. I love crazy adventures and exotic locations. That won't change anytime soon. But for now, a short trip to see the sis can serve all my travel desires and turn out to be exactly what the doctor ordered.

No comments:

Post a Comment